Monday, September 15, 2008

I Raised His Bet Too Much on the Flop! or did I?

It happens. You make a play to isolate but if you just let ONE MORE card come... you get more callers and make more money... This is definitely an area of my game that I need to shore up. Even as I was making the announcement I knew it was too much...

Here's my hand... and BigI has been on a betting tear.... pretty much his entire life. LOL. Tonight is no different. So if you call the $5/$10 blinds and he acts after you, it is pretty much going to cost you either $75 or $125 more to stay in and see the flop. I'm not crazy about this hand, but I'm willing to pay to see the flop with it. Sure enough BigI raises it to $125 and I believe there were four callers including me which puts the pre-flop pot around $680 or so (minus the $100 rake = $580... just kidding, but Dave likes giving me crap so I have to give some back). There was only guy behind me between me and BigI - Akash... and I thought for a moment that he might try a big raise and isolate BigI, but he just called as well....






I liked the flop, especially against this table...






I know that BigI will bet this flop, its just a matter of how much....

From early position, BigI bets $300. The Juice calls everyone folds to me and I push all-in for about $700 more... Akash folds, BigI calls and the Juice turns his cards up and shows 7h, 8s, X, X... I don't remember the other two, but he showed how completely thoroughly he had me read by saying that Charles probably has the nut straight with a crappy low draw and if the boat hits, he would break all or our hearts and he folds. Nice read...

By the way, Akash told me later that he had flopped the 2nd nut straight so he was definitely calling the $300, but not my crazy over-bet....

The turn






The over-bet cost me Akash's $300 and if the Juice sees the turn, I quarter him. I've done the math and while I would have only made about $15 more from the pot, it would have probably been worth it just to quarter the Juice. LOL. Now if I had $1000 or more over the $300 bet from BigI, then the all-in move there really cost me money because the quartering of the Juice gets larger. And I would just have hated myself to make that happen....

However, anytime you scoop roughly a $3000 pot... that's never a bad thing. Yep... I don't think that BigI showed his cards. I think with the river he ended up making some goofy gut-shot straight but it gave me the nut-low.

The river






Any thought?

Let the suck outs begin!

2 comments:

CGator said...

I think you should have slow-played your crappy two pair and no low. Especially if the only other option is isolating against a guy who's probably holding KQ95.

Charles R said...

I like that play too, especially after seeing the cards fall because the guy behind me, Akash, calls the $300 and when the turn hits... the Juice is all-in and so is BigI, but again, based on the chips in front of me and the other guys that played, I wouldn't have made any more money by slow-playing AND in this particular instance, while 2 pair and a low draw aren't necessarily great, isolating BigI, there is a huge liklihood that I scoop.

Thanks for the input...