Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Flopped the Big Boat Twice...

Yeppirs... Saturday night with the Juice was pretty good to me for a change. I flopped the big boat twice and didn't lose to quads... you've got it to love when that happens. I'll tell you about the one which had the biggest pot....



It was pretty late and we were down to about 7 players at the usual $5/$10 No Limit Omaha 8 game with the Juice. Here's the way the cards landed....

I was in late position and I believe that Eli was first to act and Ronnie was sitting between between Eli and me. There was the normal $25 straddle and I believe that everyone was in this hand.

My hand:





The flop:






More normal poker players would get excited about flopping the top boat but recently it has meant to me that I was about to lose all my chips to quads. Yes, even the Juice has pointed out that I have a somewhat negative attitude of late.... I believe that if I ventured into a dark room, I would probably develop (you know, I'm so "negative")....

At any rate, there are a couple of checks and Eli bets about $90 or so, Ronnie smooth calls... Had Ronnie folded, I don't know what I would have done. I put Eli on at least 1 eight, but if Ronnie called that means he had an eight and maybe 2 eights and Eli might be betting with nothing. How's that for reading your opponent! So I give it a moment and I call.

The turn:





Again, most people wouldn't really be bothered by the queen, but my luck has been so bad recently that Eli might have been betting with an over-pair and hit his 2-outer. Again, he bets... this $300 and Ronnie calls. In retrospect, I should have slow-played one more card as it is very likely that Ronnie would have called Eli's bet on the river too, but I couldn't wait... I pushed all in for a little over $1100. Eli struggles with it for a moment and makes the call. Ronnie folds.

The River:






As it turned out, Eli and Ronnie were trying to make and eights-full-of-anything-boat and Eli did make 8's full of 3's on the river, but to no avail as my 10's full of 8's held up and I scooped a very nice pot.

Let the suck outs begin!

No comments: