Monday, October 20, 2008

Omaha 8 - Overbetting the Low Side

One of the most common mistakes that I see in our weekly game of No Limit Omaha 8 (and I've done it myself, by the way) is "overbetting" the low... it is a constant frustration at our table because there are 2-3 guys there who constantly push with nothing but the nut low and more often than not, will cost themselves and "you" if you're there with it, money by getting quartered. Don't get me wrong. I like the nut low and I have tried to employ a little more conservative strategy in betting with it, but I don't think that pushing all the time with the nut low is a great strategy. While quartering on the high hand does happen, it is no where near as often as getting quartered with the low.

The nice thing about these 2-3 guys is that it is pretty easy to tell when they have it and when they are betting it so if you have employed a reasonably conservative strategy, you can catch a decent 2-way hand and get 3 quarters of the pot....

There was one hand last night between me and Akash where I put him on the nut low....
My hand...





The betting went something like this.... Akash pre-flop straddled the $5/$10 No Limit hand to $30 from 1st position. We're playing six-handed at the time and everyone called.

The flop...





Akash leads out with a $175 bet and I guess you can tell that I really liked this flop. There are a couple of cards that could come that would be M-O-N-S-T-E-R-S..... but I am next to Akash in the betting order and I am pretty certain that he has something like Ax... 3x... so I just smooth call, hoping that someone else will join the fray. I would even be open to accomodating a raise at this point.

We do pick up 3 callers and the the turn...










Akash I guess is wanting to project strength and pushes all-in before the card even gets settled into its spot on the table. Now while I could have asked for a better card, this is still a pretty good one. I HAVE the nut straight, 3rd nut low and nut flush re-draw. Unfortunately Akash's bet was bet was $1,975 and while I believe that we might have picked up one caller at about $1k, I knew that we weren't going to get many more callers once I made my call. Sure enough, Dave tucks his tail betwixt his legs and scanters off to the office to pleasure himself. It's a dirty job and I'm certain that no one else will do it.

So once I make the call, Akash turns over his cards and sure enough... he has the nut low but with nothing else. I think he had something like Ax, 3x, 5x and Jx. And as is usually the case, if you're betting with the nut with no re-draw, the re-draw will be required. And so one of the 2 cards that he definitely didn't want to see sprung up.

The river...





It was a nice card for me though... it left my nut straight in tact and counterfeited Akash's low... so my 4x, 6x took the low and the 9 high straight took the high and I scooped about a $5500 pot.

Feel free to comment, but as always, your read on what you feel the others have is important, I believe that you should have a very good read and perhaps a re-draw or two before you overbet the nut low.

1 comment:

ftp_pirate said...

I hear guys all the time whine and complain about over betting the low side but in some cases I think its justified depending on the players left to act, guys who you know can and will lay down low draws that don't want to get chopped up. However, I don't think, wait, I know that you shouldn't overbet it without re-draws for counterfeit cards and backdoor re-draws for high hand. A lot of this depends on the make up of the table. I think the biggest issue here is playing out of position and being first to act each time. Open shove may work sometimes but most times you're only being called with a better hand/draw so if you're going to shove there I think you should chech raise/re-raise to at least build some equity in the hand and get a feel for where everyone else is at. Maybe a hand like Ax2x3x5x or Ad3c4c6x or something with monsterous redraws for the absolute nut high but then again, I think you should build pots with hands like that instead of take them down then and there.

Cliff's Notes: Never open shove in NLO8 bc you're going to be called and sucked out on...Rule #1 in O8: if you flop the nuts, you're going to get drawed out on every time.