Saturday, November 29, 2008

60 Minutes Garbage

This quote is from an advance copy of the 60 Minutes story that will be broadcast Sunday. We live in a nation of politically correct imbecils. It's sad that so much of the so called news we receive is such garbage.

"One can imagine how passionate these outlaws are about poker, because thousands of them emailed us in a great panic under the delusion that poker is not illegal. Nonetheless, it is in fact illegal, so much so that President Bush made sure of that by recently passing the UIEGA so that there were no misunderstandings. Because we wish to preserve the privacy of our viewership, the names of these people were not reported to the authorities. We are, after all, not the police but a beacon of freedom."

This is a brief email I sent to 60m@cbsnews.com letting them know how I feel about their so called news reporting. I encourage everyone else to email them as well.

Even though I am disgusted about the cheating scandal at AP/UB I will be more disgusted if a program purporting to be a news program airs this blatant of lies on Sunday night. 60 Minutes spent months researching this program and this is the best you could come up with? Has anyone from 60 Minutes even read the UIGEA? Since it's obvious you haven't or intend to broadcast junk anyway to increase ratings I'm going to tell you the facts very quickly which if 60 Minutes were a true news program you should have been able to ascertain for yourself.

There is NO federal law which make playing online poker a crime nor those who do so criminals as you refer to us. Furthermore, there are very few states which have laws which make gambling online a crime. The Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act was never intended to make playing poker online against the law nor does it. The UIGEA has to do with financial institutions facilitating the funding of offshore gaming accounts. For all its grandiose title it has nothing to do with players playing much less making doing so criminal for players in any way.

The program hasn't even been broadcast yet but I am very disappointed with 60 Minutes. I would have thought that after spending months on this story that 60 Minutes could have at least broadcast accurate facts at least if not a fair and balanced story. I will never watch 60 Minutes again and I will strongly encourage those I know not to either. I hope the millions of American "outlaws" who play poker do likewise. And by the way, feel free to report me to the authorities. I have not committed any crime.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The quote that you posted was just a fictitious joke by some anonymous poster on the internet.

60 Minutes never broadcast that claim, and it would be a good idea to clarify that you've apparently been duped by some jokester.

Derek's Poker said...

yeah, that quote was a level. And a pretty funny one at that. The show, however, was very very bad for online poker.

makeutap247 said...

Oh really. Even if the exact qoute is not correct the premise behind it of 60 Minutes stating online poker is illegal in the US is correct. That is the most atrocious statment they made and the basis of my post. Online poker is not illegal in the US by any federal law yet 60 Minutes made a point of stating that several times. While the basis of their story about the cheating scandal was correct their story even about it was riddled with incorrect statements and much of the information presented is several months old and hadn't been updated with new information made available recently. If you don't believe that I will be happy to provide you with a list of their mistakes. Perhaps if you don't know what you're talking about you should get off 60 Mintutes nuts and do some more research. I'm pretty sure I've forgotten more about online poker than either of you will ever know.

Derek's Poker said...

wow. I agree completely that 60 Minutes facts were completely out of whack. I simply stated that the quote that you attributed to 60 Minutes was not their quote. It was a joke posted on a rather well frequented online poker message board. So to say that I "dont know what I'm talking about" and that you have forgotten more about online poker than I will ever know" is kind of ridiculous. DUCY?
So do me a favor and settle down a little bit. And please do not respond with HU4ROLLZ.