Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A,A,2,4 IS a good hand, Charles

There is nothing wrong with limping in to a pot with less than premium cards, flopping a monster and winning a big pot. No one is going to think any less of you for playing a hand with a nine in it, so stop feeling obligated to depreciate every hand you play. In fact, I think we would all have less respect for your game if you would only play premium cards (except for Rick, mathamatically).

There is nothing brilliant about sitting in a chair until someone hands you some pieces of paper with two A's and a 2 on them and then pushing all your chips in the middle of the table; just like there is nothing noteworthy about taking convenient bathroom breaks right before your big blind (other than the fact that you should be noted as a douchebag). Your hand has value if, given the situation, you can expect to make profit. If you are playing against opponents whose hands start shaking with two pair and a live seven, then a whole lot of hands are "good" to limp in with. Creativity is far more interesting to read about. Rocks are not creative, they just sit there.

2 comments:

Rick said...

I, too, get a kick out of reading about one of Charles' hands. Each blog starts out the same:

"I'm on the button, and there are 84 limpers. I look down to see As-Ac-2s-4d. Not a great hand by any means. I know I don't have a 3, and only one of the aces is suited, but heck, there are 84 limpers and it will only cost me $10 to see a flop, etc..."

The REAL Charles, however, will risk his house, car, and first-born child on a runner-runner low draw to chop the pot. He wasn't at the game Saturday and I didn't make any money that night. Coincidence? Hmmm, I think not! :-)

Charles R said...

Wow! I now believe that I am tight... if the "Chad" can throw out comments speaking to someone other than himself playing tight hands in O8, it's a wonder that your perception of me is that I even come to poker, if you think I'm tight.... if I had to rank the players at our regular games in the order of how tight they play their hands, the Chad would be right up in the top 3.... you figure out who the other 2 are.... and neither of them would be me. LOL. But I am glad that something, perhaps it was the hand two weeks ago where I doubled you up when you had nut/nut and I had second nut/second nut, provoked or motivated you to begin blogging. LOL. So welcome to the world of blogging... and please explain the "depreciate every hand you play" comment... I must have missed something there. And further to your point, I don't believe that anyone with my losing record could be considered "a rock"... maybe dumber than a rock? That fits a description of me better than "a rock".... although I believe that your criticism took on other players than just me as you went along. At least I hope so, I don't think that I have ever left the table for a bathroom break when it was my big blind unless I was physically ill.

And you even fired Rick up.... about the only thing in his comment that I agree with is the last statement ... that he "thinks not"...