Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Cardrack?

A friend of mine that doesn't play a lot of poker was asking me about how to know when to put your chips in, when to bet? First of all, I'll say it for you Rick, "you're definitely asking the wrong guy...." LOL. I'm sure this varies by individual, and it varies based on the game you're playing, and whether its a cash game or a tourney, and who else is in the hand and will they call. And probably the most important question, do you have the nuts? It has been my experience that typically within a 4-5 hour sitting, if you have the NUTS 2-4 times, that can make for a great night. If I am playing well, it is likely that I'll actually fold what will become the NUTS, 2-4 times. LOL. Well, Tuesday night at Dave's, Eric must have had the NUTS or very close to it, 15 or 20 times. It was unbelieveable! The best example of a CARDRACK that I've ever witnessed live.... It almost seemed that if he needed a card on the flop, he got it.... if his opponent hit on the flop and Eric needed a card to make a higher/better hand, he got it on 4th or 5th street! If I flopped a monster, his monster was either better right then or it got better on the turn or river.

There are several examples but probably the two hands that stand out to me the most happened pretty late in the evening. I had Kx, 10x and the flop was Ah, Qs, Js. I like to bet a strong hand rather than slow play it (unless Dave's in of course, as he'll start the betting process for me, LOL) so I lead out with a $21 bet against a $16 pot. Eric raises to $50 and I push all in.... what do you think that Eric has for his hole cards? Ks, 10s! Same hand with the second nut flush redraw and of course the royal flush redraw. Thank goodness the flush didn't come and we ended up chopping..... Another hand, I've got pocket nines and the flop is Qx, 9x, 6x. I bet $30 and he raises to $60. I immediately push all-in and he turns over pocket queens! What a night! He cashed out big.... I think, of the short-handed game that we were playing, 6 players at peak, Rick won a very little and everyone else busted out, some more than once.... me included!

We've got to get the participation up on this game or its going to die. Personally, I'm not playing anymore unless there are at least 8 players committed to being there. It's just a losing proposition on a short-handed table with aggressive players and an aggressive rake.

No comments: