Sunday, June 11, 2006

Will the suck outs never end!

No, unless I quit playing poker and then they won't really end... it'll just be someone else getting sucked out on....!

So I finished second in the $60 Buy-in, $25 Re-buy, $25 Add-on tourney today to, who I believe to be the suck-out master... Elvie! In one hand, I had pocket 5's and raise about 5X the blinds when there were just 3 players remaining. Elvie calls with 10h, 4h. The flop is 4s, 6s, 9h. I bet $5,000 and Elvie calls. The turn is the 2h . I bet $5,000 and he calls. The river is 3h and Elvie bets $15,000. I fold and he shows the 10h, 4h. There just isn't any justice! No suck-outs there... I just got out-played!

A couple hands later, I get a little revenge when I have As, Jh on the button. The blinds are $1,000/$2,000 and I raise to $7,000. Elvie calls and the flop is Ah, Jd, 7s. Elvie bets $10,000 and I re-raise all-in for another $13,000. He calls and flips over Ad, 8s and thank goodness the turn and river are bricks.

He called a $5,000 pre-flop raise with A, 3 and the flop was A, K, 9. I had K, 10 and we ended up getting all our chips in and his stinky ace was good enough to get him first. Yes, I know, he didn't suck out that time, but of course, I can't suck out him. I never get to suck out on anybody!

I'll be back....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, I may have to call BS on this one. I can't believe you'd lay down a straight to a $15K bet. There must have been close to $100K in the pot, and the only hands that beat you are runner-runner flush or a 7-5 (higher straight). You have to call, even if you somehow put him on two hearts.

Knowing your history of, ahem, memory lapses, I suspect that you maybe just got one of the denominations incorrect, and you really didn't catch a straight on the river. Then the story would make sense (all except the big suckout part).

From his point of view, he may have called your flop bet suspecting you raised pre-flop with two big cards, and that his fours were good. On the turn he picked up the flush draw also, and with a smallish bet of $5K isn't going anywhere.

He had 14 outs on the river, so he was only a 7-3 dog. Not the tremendous suckout you would have us believe, especially since you're the one who priced him in!

Good showing though, you played well this weekend (remind me what a pocket pair looks like sometime, the only ones I saw were on your side of the table)...

Rick :-)

Charles R said...

Well, I guess there is that old wives tale about people actually being able to determine what others have .... I put him on a flush draw and he was dumb enough to call bets that should have caused him to fold. However, I knew he had the flush.... so straight or not, I'm beat. That's why I folded. Hmmm... Reading other people, you should try it sometime. It works pretty good.

Oh, let's talk about his "point of view" - absolutely the worst poker player that I know. Even against you, if my failing memory serves me, you had him dominated and based on your bets, any "decent" poker player would have folded, but he stayed in and hit his two outer. Or is your memory failing you now? LOL.

Charles :-)

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, I forgot that you attended the Hellen Keller School for Reading People - my bad...

And your memory is correct for a change (glad to see you're back to taking your Gingko Biloba on schedule), he did indeed hit the two-outer to take me out of contention. The difference between our hands was that I didn't deserve it! LOL

Rick :-)