Thursday, March 08, 2007

Monster Hands Flopped!

Another night with the Juice when I flop several MONSTER hands and either don't win anything or don't win much.... A couple that come to mind.....

Omaha 8 - in my hand, A, J, 10, 9 and the flop K, Q, 10! Jimmy is to my right and he leads out with a bet of $50 into a $100ish pot. I call and John M calls and Frank calls. The turn is a brick and I figure that this is enough.... Frank bets $75 and I raise to $225 and John M calls and Frank calls (which put him all-in) and Jimmy pushes all-in for another $50 or so. I push all-in, John M calls. The river is a Queen.... John M and I both have the nut straight. Jimmy pushed all in with top set, Kings and Frank was all-in with top two pair, K, Q. So Jimmy scoops a very nice pot with Kings full of Queens. Frank is trying to make something of his Queens full of Kings and John and I are trying to figure out what the hell happened to our flopped nut hand.... LOL.

The next big hand for me actually came against John.... the only thing that I didn't like about it was that I was in early position. I've got A, A, 3, 4 and the flop was A, 2, 5! Not bad at all.... this is a crazy table and perhaps checking this hand here from early position would have been a better play, but I just made a baby bet of about $20 just to start building the pot and hoping that someone gets a little excited about their possibilities..... at any rate, John calls and there are a couple of other callers, but no real action. The turn puts two cards to the spade flush on the board and I make a bet of $75 and John M calls and everyone else folds. The river puts the flush on the board and I just check knowing that John has hit his flush and my monster has turned into a miserable chopped pot.

That was pretty much the night for me as it has been for the past couple of weeks..... my draws don't get there and when they do, I don't get paid. Others are going all-in with nothing but draws against very strong hands at the time and hitting their draws. Not a good combination for winning poker......

Oh well.... back to the felt!

1 comment:

Rick said...

Key word: Flopped. Flopping the nuts in Omaha usually means one thing - you're about to lose a lot of money. Unless the nuts you flop is a royal flush, in the long run you're better off just mucking your hand right then and there, even if nobody has bet yet. Checking it down may be tempting, but then you'll want to bet on those rare occasions when you still have the nuts on the river, at which time you'll most likely get quartered and lose even more money. Trust me, just muck your nut flush or straight on the flop, and move on to the next hand, when you might pick up a crappy draw - then you're in business! Remember, if you hit your card on the river, you can't get sucked out on...