Sunday, November 11, 2007

Poker with John & Big Dave

Well, I finally made the journey to Apex to play $2/$5 No Limit with John and Big Dave tonight. Finding it was no problem and once I arrived I found it to be just as I expected.... great environment and well run. Big Dave was dealing and the only problem that I had was every time he would give me a pair, he would either give someone else a bigger pair -or- let them flop a set. Nice! I am certain that that is something he picked up over at the Juice's. I wasn't able to play late as the family was coming back into town from a hockey trip for the Carolina Jr. Hurricanes playing a small tournament in Atlanta. I've got to go and pick them up in a matter of minutes.

There were only two hands of interest... once when I had an big pair and the board flopped a straight possibility. Akash called a pre-flop raise and then bet $150 at the river into about a $70 pot when there was a straight on the board. He turned over his bluff as he was playing the board too. The other hand was against a guy that bet into an 7x, 8s, Js. I would have probably just smooth called with my 9d, 10d hoping to get other callers, but the people between me and the better folded and the people behind me mucked out of turn so there was really no reason to risk a flush draw getting there. I re-raised his $20 bet an additional $60. He said that he was showing me respect and turned over his top pair and a straight draw. I wanted to be kind as well so I showed him that I had flopped the nut straight. Big Dave, I guess, trying to humor him ran the cards out and he would have made a flush on the river with the four spades on the board and the one in his hand.

So, again... nice place, good guys, good food, a fair rake so I'll definitely be back!

Let the suck outs begin!

No comments: