Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Suggestions to speed up the game....

I know that practically every game.... yep, every game has that player that seems to take way too much times on practically every card, every bet, every call, every action.... unfortunately for me.... we've got about 3 in our game. I won't name names but you know who you are..... I realize that there is some value in taking time to make certain that you are making the right play. Oh, if I could only slow down some times. I know that in some instances I make the play way too fast. I guess the Juice is right... I am an action junkie. And slow is not good for someone who really wants action! It seems that every time I try to make suggestions at the game, it ticks someone off at the table so I thought that I might do it here so that you can read them without the pressure of everyone at the table waiting for you to act..... LOL.

At any rate, here are a few ideas that might speed up the game just a little and it would give you plenty of time to consider your action in those circumstances where it is justified. Well, here you go....

1) Don't wait until its your turn to look at your cards. I know that the poker pros say wait, but they haven't been in our game. Go ahead, take a peek. No one else is paying any attention to you. They're dealing with their own crappy cards.

2) When you do look at them, go ahead and look.... don't peek one card at a time, Dean.... oops... I shouldn't have said that.... LOL.

3) If you are going to bet $70 into a $50 pot, at least have given the idea that someone is going to raise your bet $250ish some thought, Bill.... oops... I shouldn't have said that.... LOL.

4) When you are definitely calling the $300 bet and you plan on counting out the 60 $5 chips to make the call around and over your stacks of $25 and $100 chips at least announce that you're calling so that the action can move around the table while you stack up the 60 $5 chips, Elli.... damn it, I shouldn't have said that.... LOL.

5) Whatever you do, don't distract Bill.... he is very focused, but its just not on whatever it will take to speed up the game.

6) And then you've got the story-teller.... always sharing some war-story about the good 'ol days when we all thought that something we said or did was actually somehow important. I like to hear them too, but just don't let them slow up the game, Juice.... crap... did it again.

These are just a few suggestions that I put together pretty quickly. I know that you have some other ideas and I would really encourage you to share them with the group either by commenting on this particular blog entry or by creating your own. I look forward with great anticipation to your next move, hopefully it'll be pretty quick.

So, let the suck outs begin!

1 comment:

ftp_pirate said...

#4 is the most frustrating one of them all.

We have a player JJ who I really like and enjoy being around but he takes forever on ever single hand. If it wasn't for the Cards speak rule he would be busted out of the game within the first hour for misreading his hand. He's part of the reason we quit playing NLO8 b/c wwe could only get 12 hands an hour in.

Then we have Coach, folds 85% of his hands but still takes 45 seconds to do so and when he does call with JJ or better we have to wait another 15 seconds for him to get his chips out there. I know I shouldn't do it but when I sit to his left, I give him 5 seconds and then I act everytime to speed the game up. 85% of the time it works b/c we're just waiting for him to fold anyway. What's worse is how we have to hear about how much he's down 100% of the time. He's the only man I know that buy-ins for $500 and is already down $800 before the cards are even dealt.

You forgot the most important one though:

The DEALER(S): Love those guys but when I sit in for them to give them a break, its funny how twice as many hands get dealt to the very same group of guys. Stop chatting so much begging for tips, move the action along and control the game. Simple math, if certain players are only going to tip small amounts, dealing more hands will make up for the loss. Be nice & don't be a jerk. That's what you're getting tipped to do, so do it.