Thursday, April 19, 2007

The Last Hand of the Night

Normally, the last hand of the night is not a big winner. Even if one is planning to leave after a particular hand, then happen to scoop a nice pot, they will usually cave in to the good-natured chants of “hit and run” from the other players at the table, and stick around for at least a few more hands. In most cases, the last hand is fairly uneventful – it’s about the time you need to leave, you stick around until the big blind gets to you, then cash out and go home. If the hand is in fact eventful, more often than not it’s a hand where you lose your entire stack of chips. If it’s been a bad night, you just cut your losses and pack it in early.

The last hand on Tuesday night was between Dave, Eric and me. It wasn’t for a huge pot or anything, but it was interesting for the way it played out. The game was breaking up, as two or three others cashed out just before. I had a decent night, and was preparing to cash out myself. Eric, who is down to a very small stack ($65 I think), asks Dave and I if we just want to each put the $65 in and play the last hand (NLHE) blind. Sure, we say, and toss the chips in the middle. Jarod deals the cards, and turns up a flop of K-7-3. I was going to wait until the river to look at my hand, but the others open up their cards to reveal junk, so I go ahead and open mine, only to reveal pocket kings! A brick on the turn means they’re both drawing dead, but for good measure Jarod turns up the case king on the river. Quad kings – Get the Monkey on the way out the door!

I can only hope that tonight I’ll pick up where I left off!

See ya at the tables…
Rick

No comments: