Saturday, May 05, 2007

$2/$5 Pot Limit Omaha 8

Went down south to play a little poker this evening and within the first 10 minutes of sitting down, I picked up Ac, 3c, 3s, 4s.... Not the best hand, but I like it! At any rate, I'm in late position and there's no raise of the $10 straddle. The flop came Js, Ks, 3x...... it's funny about bottom set in O8. It's very likely that if you make the boat, there's a good chance that you'll finish 2nd. But I do like to change up how I play it.... sometimes I'll just check it down and see what happens. Other times, I like to take control and try to bet the other guys off their draws. Well, there's about $75 in the pot and I'm feeling froggy. It checks to me and I bet the pot. There are 3 callers including Elvie and Chad (a new guy to me, I believe that he has been playing here regularly for a while). At any rate, the turn is I think a 6 and it checks to me again. Now I'm sure that have the best hand right now so I push it.... there is exactly $300 in the pot and I have $305. Everyone calls and I told Chuck to try to throw a brick. Somehow the 9 on the river dodges all the flush, straight draws and the 2 over pair and I scoop about a $1200 pot!

I did get hooked up in one other big hand just before I left that took about $250 out of my stack. I had As, 2s, 3c, 4d and the 8s, 8c, 7s flop could have been better, but I liked it. Chad led out with a bet of the pot which I believe was $40. He was in early position and I haven't played enough with him to have a good idea of his betting patterns, but with all of my draws to the low, I definitely wanted to see another card. Now there are 3-4 players behind me and all fold except Akash. The turn was a black Jack, but not the spade. Chad bets the pot again for $160. Unfortunately for me I had put him on just an 8 with a big kicker. So now I'm thinking that a low spade might give me a scooper. I call and Akash calls. The river, a black Queen, but not the spade. Chad checks and I check and Akash struggles with it, but checks. Chad flopped a boat 8's full of 7's and Akash had the big 8 that never connected on the turn and the river so Chad scooped a nice pot.

I couldn't stay late, so I left the merry group around 11:00PM.... they still had 9 folks at the table and I'm certain there were juicy pots!

No comments: