Sunday, May 06, 2007

A Saturday Nite Game!

A little unusual for me as I'm normally doing family stuff on the weekends, but as fate would have it, a group of my poker buddies decided to put together a game to watch the big fight! Turned into a rousing $2/$5 No Limit Omaha 8 game....

There were a couple of significant hands for me. In one, I've got As, Ac, 4s, 5s and there's a pre-flop straddle to $29. As usual there are about 7 limpers including me and the Juice (the straddle originator) decides to bump it up. He raises another $150 and when it gets to me there are already 3 callers. I would have preferred to have at least a deuce in my hand, but I do like my hand and much prefer it against one player rather than a table so I push all-in for an additional $614.... the Juice smooth calls. I think he did it just to see my cards. Everyone else folds and he ends up making the low with an A, 2 and we chop the pot.

Shortly thereafter I have Ac, 3d, 5d, 6s and call the pre-flop $11 straddle. The flop was 2d, 4d, 7s. I don't remember who bet first, but it was about a $70 bet and Elvie called and I pushed all-in for another $800 or so and Elvie called. Although the steel-wheel didn't get there, I did scoop with the wheel.

I guess I'm still getting over having everyone on the planet show me the cooler or hitting their one or two outer on me, but I missed a big bet opportunity against Rick. I was in the big blind and called a $15 straddle with Qc, Qd, 3c, 3s. I know, I shouldn't have. But John M is complaining about how few hands I play so I thought that I would give it a shot. At any rate, there about 7 players in and the flop 8d, 8s, 10d. Everyone checks and the turn is sweet..... Qd! I've got the best boat, but there are a couple of hands that can beat me. At any rate, I really like it, but decide to slow play to see if someone else will bet. No bets! It checks all the way around. The river is another 10! Now, although I like my boat, it's now the fourth nut. I lead out with a $100 bet and right behind me, Rick raises $125. If you've been reading my blogs of late, you've seen that just about every monster hand that I've had, Rick has had the cooler. So rather than raise, which was my instinctive play, I just call. He says we probably have the same hand and I let out a groan, realizing that I probably could have raised and he would have called. Oh well, I'm not complaining as at least I did get the pot.

Oh well..... back to the felt!

2 comments:

john m said...

charles--wasnt fri your b-day ,if so happy birthday late.john

Charles R said...

You are way too kind, but it indeed is next Friday, the 11th! Go figure.... Thanks in advance!

I'm certain that the Juice has something major planned for the event.....