Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Christmas Comes Early

Well, it was yet another big night at Dave’s. We had a table full of loose players, and Dean was there as well. Last week I doubled Dave up right away before I began amassing the giant stack. I was hoping for a bit of a different start last night, and I got my wish; I doubled Bill up right away. Again, I don’t remember the hand, but I think my top pair paid off his set.

I began collecting chips immediately after rebuying, and never slowed down until I had a monster stack. Although there were several big hands, and a few Omaha scoopers, my favorite hand of the night was against (who else?) Dave. Omaha 8 - Everyone limps, Dave raises pre-flop from the button, just about everyone else calls, and I call in late position with Qc-8h-8d-3c. This is a complete garbage hand, of course, but as I’ve said before, against Dave and a couple others it’s all about the implied odds. If the flop hits me I’m probably getting paid. There’s maybe $150 in the pot, and the flop comes Kc-Jh-8c.

Although I have nowhere near the nuts, I like the flop. I only have bottom set, but I also have the second nut flush draw. What I really like is that there is only one low card on the board. Everyone checks to me, so with only Dave yet to act, I’m fairly confident I have the best hand right now. I bet $125, hoping to chase out any straight draws and take the pot down right there. Dave calls, and everyone else folds. I now know I have the best hand, as he would have raised with J-J or K-K. One of the problems with bottom set is that (outside of the one-outer for quads, of course) you’re never quite sure what card you want. Dave could easily make that call with K-J or some goofy straight draw, but I’m actually thinking I want a club, preferably a big one that also either makes him a straight or a smaller flush, as I know he will never put me on a flush draw.

Sure enough, a small club (6, I think) comes on the turn. I try to look just a bit worried as I throw in a $150 turn bet, and Dave immediately goes all-in for an additional $550 or so. I call, asking him if he has the nuts. He says he doesn’t, but proudly turns a cute little baby flush. I must admit to always getting a bit of a sadistic rush when I see the look in his eyes after I turn up my hand and he realizes he’s drawing dead. He actually did end up with a low draw to split the pot (he needed a 3,4,5,or 7), but it didn’t come and I scooped a nice pot.

While taking Dave’s money is fun, crushing his spirit is infinitely more enjoyable. He walked around talking to himself for hours after that, and never was quite the same. When I finally left, he was curled up in the corner in a fetal position, hugging his teddy bear and sobbing uncontrollably. Dave, I have to tell you this: Buck up soldier! I’m coming back next week to take the rest of your money, and obliterate what’s left of your fragile psyche. Remember the old saying, Dave; “It’s always darkest just before it goes pitch black…”

See ya at the tables…
Rick

No comments: