Thursday, November 30, 2006

Just Another Manic Tuesday

Another crazy one with The Jizz and company. After some bad play (and a semi-cold deck or two), I was down $1,200 early before beginning to scrape myself off the felt. As always, there were many hands probably worthy of note. Since I don’t have the time (or memory) to blog each of them, I’ll blog a few that stand out.

NLHE – John M. makes a standard raise from the button, and I call from the small blind with Q-J. Flop comes Q-J-4, and I check to him hoping he got some of it so I can check-raise (careful what you wish for). He checks behind, and a J comes on the turn. I lead out with my boat, he raises, etc, and we get all the chips in. He turns over Q-Q – yikes! I’m reminded of Roy Scheider’s line, when he first sees the shark in Jaws: “I think we’re gonna need a bigger boat!”

NLHE – Dave raises pre-flop from the button, I call with Q-9 suited and we’re heads up. The flop comes K-Q-3. I check to Dave, who puts out a feeler bet. I almost raise to see where I’m at (Dave could have anything), but decide just to call. A Q comes on turn, and now I’m hoping he has A-K. I check, he bets $200, I raise to $500, and he immediately goes all-in! Against a mere mortal, I might think I could be in trouble. This was The Jizz, however. Half the time he makes this play, he ends up turning over some cheese like pocket sixes, or his favorite hand; J-10. I make the call, he turns up A-Q, and I’m dead to a K, 9, or 3 (none of which comes). One of the nice things about being Dave (and I can’t think of many…) is that you tend to get paid off on those rare occasions when you actually do have a hand! And again, I don’t mind paying him off now and then, since I usually get it back, with interest, by the end of the night. Nice playing, Dave!

Omaha 8 – I have K-K-7-3, and as usual, all 83 of us call the big blind and see the flop. The flop comes K-7-7 – schwing! Not only a monster boat (Scheider finally gets his wish), but I can’t be afraid of quads since I have a 7 as well. The only bad thing about it is that I probably won’t get any action since I have all the cards! Elvie leads out with a $30, bet, however, and John M. calls – nice! I debate smooth-calling, but decide to make a small raise to $80, and both call. The turn brings a 4, Elvie bets $400, and John calls for his last $280 or something! I raise Elvie all-in, he calls and turns over 7-4-4-X. The river brings a 3, which gives John’s runner-runner low half the main pot, and I scoop the side pot. I forget what else John had, but he might have made a very loose flop call with A-A and backdoored a low.

It was a night of many good second-best hands all around the table. Just about everyone got a little cold-decked at one time or another. I ended up fighting my way back to finish up almost $2K. Down early / up late has been the theme for me the past few weeks, but I guess that’s better than the alternative! Hopefully we have enough players to get a game going tonight. Until next time!

See ya at the tables…
Rick

2 comments:

The Juice said...

Rick, that was some good playing, especially the hand that you Bluffed against Charles. Why would you not just check it down to your "BEST FRIEND"???
The Juice!

Charles R said...

Oh... Let me answer that one for him... cause he, like me, came to play poker.... not roll over and piss on each other! LOL.

And that was a really good play!