Thursday, November 23, 2006

Giving Thanks

In keeping with the tradition of today’s holiday, I thought I would take a moment and reflect on what I am grateful for in my poker life. I am lucky enough to play regularly with a bunch of great guys, and I’d like to thank them. So here goes – many thanks to my opponents…

…Who call my flop or turn bets, chasing draws while getting improper odds. Of course they hit now and then, but basic math dictates that I will make money over time.

…Who don’t understand that same basic math themselves, and who make small bets into large pots to make sure they “get a little action” with their good hands. The best part is not getting proper pot odds and/or implied odds to call their bet with only a drawing hand; the best part is listening to the ensuing whining after my card comes. Pavarotti never sounded as sweet!

…Who always think I’m bluffing, and will pay off a big bet with a marginal hand.

…Who think I never bluff, and who fold the best hand when I throw a few chips in the pot.

…Who, once their draw doesn’t get there, make painfully obvious bluffs themselves. To them, I not only say thanks, but also “I call.”

…Who drink heavily before shoving their chips my way. Have one on me!

…Who move all-in with $720 into a $30 pot, with me acting behind them and yet to look at my cards. It almost feels like Christmas morning, as I eagerly anticipate waking up to a big pocket pair.

And last but most assuredly not least, many thanks to my opponents…

…Who are named Dave. Dave, don’t think for a minute you fall into the “All of the Above” category, as you are in a class all by yourself. There’s only one thing better than you losing enough to me to put my kids through college. Yes, that’s right - I don’t have any kids and I get to spend the money myself!

Yep, I truly have much to be thankful for.

See ya at the tables…
Rick

No comments: