Monday, February 19, 2007

Saturday PKR Tournament

The Saturday tournament proved to be as unlucky as Friday was lucky. Just as well – given the choice I’d rather catch cards during the cash games, where I can make more in one pot than I can by outlasting 20 other guys and winning some goofy $40 buy-in tournament. I was all-in three times Saturday, and to say I got my money good would be a tremendous understatement. My opponents had a total of eight outs in the three hands combined. Needless to say, I was lucky to win one of them, and I busted out early…

One hand was when I have 10-10, make a standard raise, and Charles calls. The flop comes K-10-X – sweet! I’m hoping he has a king, of course, and lead out with a bet of a little more than half the pot. He calls, so the trap is now set. A brick comes on the turn, and I check, hoping he reads that as me making a continuation flop bet with something like A-Q or an underpair. Sure enough, he makes a good-sized bet of about half his stack. I figure he’s pretty much committed and go ahead and push in. He calls and turns over A-A. I guess we were slow-playing each other! Turns out the action wouldn’t have mattered too much. He would’ve had to make a fairly big re-raise to get me off the hand pre-flop. He didn’t get one of the two remaining aces, and I pretty much double-up.


Then the rains came...

As the rebuy period is winding to a close, I get involved with a hand with Rene, who is short-stacked. I have Ac-Qc, and make a standard raise, which he calls. The flop comes Ax-4x-4x, and I go ahead and push him in. He calls and turns over A-8, and, of course, an 8 peels off on the turn.

The final suckout came against, who else, Charles. He gets squirrelly and pushes in with Ah-7h (hey, it’s suited, right?), and I call with As-Ks. He has me covered, and I’m fairly sure I’m about drawing dead as I say “here come the sevens.” Sadly, I’m right again (I hate being right so often…) and I’m out the door before he can finish scooping my chips.

Next Saturday will be the freeroll tournament, so hopefully the luck will even out then. If the best hand holds up every time, then I like my chances. If not, then at least I’ll have more blogging material. :-)

See ya at the tables…
Rick

No comments: