Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Don't make me mad.... I'll hit the ONE outer!

I guess I should start this one by apologizing to Jeff, but it was kind of his fault. We're at Dave's, early in the night, Omaha 8 *** NO LIMIT *** - that still doesn't sound right to me. Blinds are $2, $4 and generally you can get in with a limp but occassionally someone, usually Dave, gets a wild hair and raises pre-flop. I think there are about 2-3 hands that "possibly" warrant a pre-flop raise in Omaha 8, I would tell you what they are, but you might tell Dave. LOL. This particular hand, everyone limps. The flop is Jc, 8c, 3h. I've got 8h, 8d, 2h, 4c. The middle set with a nice low re-draw. I'm the big blind and I bet $19, just to see if anyone has anything. Since there's a $28 pot, I'm ok with taking it down right then. At any rate, there are a couple of callers and when it gets to Jeff, he raises it to $100. There's a series of folds and it gets to me and I'm about to muck thinking that he either has pocket Jacks or pocket 3's and I'm not willing to risk my stack to find out which one WHEN he begins showing his cards to the folders down at his end of the table. For some reason, it just hit me wrong. I put in the additional $81 as did ... Dave. I never saw his hand, I'm guessing it was the 9c, 10c... LOL. The turn is a 5d and I check. Dave checks and Jeff pushes all in for about $300 and I, in an apparent hurry to turn over all my chips to someone else, call. And Dave calls. I'm sure he has the 9c, 10c now. At any rate, the river is (horns blaring) the 8s. Jeff jumps up now ecstatic that the flush nor the straight got there and realizing that he had the top boat. And I verbalize something like.... "you're probably not going to like this.... " and flip my two 8's when aligned with the board... makes quads! Get the monkey! LOL.

I could tell that it had knocked the taste out of his mouth and he could't believe that I called him down calculating that I probably only had 1 out. Well, sometimes you're the windshield and sometimes you're the bug. I know, I know... I promise, I'll never do it again!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Never do it again?! You did it again an hour later, when the flop came 9-4-4, and you called my pocket nines with your lone four, only to quad up when you spike the old one-outer (which we will now officially rename "The Charles") on the turn. Okay, okay, maybe not quite as dramatic, but this one happened to ME, so what do you expect...? The suckout master strikes again! LOL

Rick :-)

Charles R said...

You're right. That was not quite so dramatic as you made a small bet on the flop, slow-playing your boat. Yeah well. Crap happens! Or you could say... "How did that work out for you?"

LOL.
CR