Tuesday, May 30, 2006

A miserable night of cards at PKR....

It had to be one of the worst nights of cards that I have had in quite some time. I tried to make moves with nothing twice and got called down with small pairs that took the pot. Perhaps it was the reflection on my cleanly shaven dome that was giving off some tell that I wasn't aware of.... I reluctantly moved from the 2nd table over to the first as I seriously wanted some LV revenge. I really shouldn't feel that way, he can't help it. LOL.

There were so many times that I dumped my crap to a $2 limp and even a $1 limp in the small blind trying to play the tight aggressive role to earn the appropriate table image. Didn't work. So I played 8 hours, only had one pocket pair higher than 10s and never flopped a set until the very last hand of the night. I'm the button and limp in with pocket 4s. The flop is Ac, 10h, 4h. Rick is in the small blind and bets $11... such a wimpy bet. LOL. The pot is about $11 although I'm certain that its been raked twice already. LOL. I smooth call knowing the next card will be a heart giving someone the flush. There are 3 callers and sure enough the turn is a heart. Rick checks and I check.... everybody checks. It's a checking kind of day. The river is the case 4. Get the monkey! Everybody checks.... I bet $16 into a $60 pot where people have been going all in with 2 pair and everyone folds. Rick may have killed my action by stating "out of turn" so you stayed in with a 4 and hit trips.... As soon as he said that... everyone folded. Yep, it was definitely his fault.... LOL.

Which brings me to another question, one of etiquette, so many times I have been in a hand where someone will verbalize their analysis of a raisers hand while there is still action behind them. Usually, it's Quinlan... LOL. I've heard, along with everyone else that "if you're not in the hand, keep your mouth shut" but in this instance, Rick was in the hand and, had he waited till it was his turn, there would have been no action behind him, but he verbalized it as soon as I bet... (how's that for memory!). It's my opinion that if there is any action behind you or likely to be other action behind you that you should NOT verbalize your analysis. Just looking for your thoughts......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you to a certain extent. I think you should keep quiet if you're not in a hand. I guess, to me anyway, there's a bit of gray area when you are in a hand.

Poker is a social game, and most of the games you and I play in are pretty low-key, with a lot of light-hearted banter ("Uh-oh, get the monkey!"). I'd hate for the games to get too stuffy and boring, with players afraid to say anything that someone might possibly be upset with.

For the case in point, I agree that I should have waited for the action to get to me. I knew the way the hand played out that we were the only ones with cards however. I'm sure I had everyone else smoked with my ace, and I didn't think twice about folding. Not the point, I know, but at least it didn't cost you any action.

The other etiquette breach that gets me is when people make a big scene about "folding the nuts" when the flop comes and there are others in the hand. We all do it several times a night (fold 8-3 and the flop comes 8-8-3). Just bite your tongue and moan about it afterwards instead of all but telling the pre-flop raiser that nobody can possibly have an eight, and that his pocket tens are probably golden. Whispering to your buddy next to you is one thing, but jeez, don't jump up and throw your hands in air...

Rick :-)