Tuesday, May 09, 2006

The last donkey!

Yep! That was it! The last time I'll ever be the donkey! I've been on about a 2 month tare of winning. Not just cash games, but also tourneys. Last night was the first cash game that I've walked away from minus for the night in about 2 months! It wasn't a big loss, but I had been sitting there for about 2 and a half hours paying more attention to the Carolina Hurricanes/New Jersey Devils hockey game than the poker at the table. When in about a 3 hand stretch I got sucked out on, well, 3 times. Jason was the biggest offender so when he raised my big blind from $2 to $14, I called with Ad, 6d. Not like me at all, but I was getting pissed. At any rate, the flop is 7d, 8h, 10c. I check and he bets $24 and I push all-in with about $110. I really put him on nothing and I thought that even if he had something an ace or a 9 would fix it. Ooops. He calls and turns over pocket jacks and unfortunately we hit the 9 on the turn. Now he has the higher straight and my only out is to chop the pot with another jack. Nope. The ace comes. He wins and I try to work a trade with the dealer to take back the nine, but that doesn't work.

Well, no more of that.... I assure you. But I did do the right thing and left the table to go home and watch the final period of the hockey game and what a finish. In case you missed it, they were tied 1-1 with about 20 seconds in the 3rd period. Everyone is expecting an overtime when NJ scores. The crowd is in shock! But fortunately there was one guy in the building who wasn't and it was the right guy. Coach Laviolette. He pulled Cam Ward, the goalie, and Brind'Amour won the face off and with just 3 seconds remaining Williams/Staal combine to make it 2-2. Overtime takes about 3 and a half minutes for Wallin to make a great play after a feed from Brind'amour to win the game and go up 2-0 in the series. Wow! Glad I was watching!

No comments: