Monday, May 22, 2006

Sunday $60 Rebuy Tourney

The overwhelming message from this event is relative to Jack.... the elder Jack. Don't raise him unless you know that you have him beat. He WILL CALL! Doesn't matter what he has.... Just after the rebuy period ended, this is a No Limit Hold'em Tournament. I got through the re-buy period as the chip leader at my table without any rebuys. This is about the 2nd or 3rd hand after the rebuy period ended. I'm on the button and have Js, Qs. The blinds are $200/$400 and I limp in. There are no raises and the flop is Jc, 10h, 8s. It checks to me and I bet $1000 with the top pair and the gut shot. The only caller is Jack. The turn is the 8d. He checks and I bet $1000. He calls. The river is the 9d. He quickly bets $1200 and I push him all in for another $900 which leaves me with about $1600. He turns over Kh, Qd. The nut straight. He called all my bets with nothing until the river!

I thought that I had him beat, I thought that he had 10's with an A or K. My lesson is learned.... The next time that I play at his table, he will go bye-bye!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I disagree with your comment about not raising Jack unless you know you have him beat. The only proven strategy against him is to not bet or raise until you are POSITIVE HE IS DRAWING DEAD, because he WILL call you with an inferior hand and he WILL suck out on you! (If you're wondering, yes, my but still stings from Saturday...)

Rick :-)

Charles R said...

I've replayed that hand about a dozen times since yesterday and in every case I cannot put him on that gut shot. I am huge advocate of betting when you know you are ahead and making them pay to catch up. I've done it over and over and over. I do believe that there are some people who are stubborn or stupid enough to call with the worst hand hoping to catch up and make you pay (I've even done it... see "Don't make me mad.... I'll the the ONE outer!" but there are those people who will do it over and over and over again). I believe that a similar scenario happens a lot especially in Omaha Hi-Lo when someone has Ac, 2c, 3s, 4s and the flop hits another player who has Ah, As with the flop of Ad, 5s, 9s. I don't care what the player with set bets, that guy is hooked and not going anywhere. He knows that if his card hits, he'll have the player with the set busted. So there probably isn't a set way to play against a poor player like elder Jack except to be aware that he is a calling station and don't make any "moves" against him until you know you have him drawing dead.... and then send him home wondering what happened.