Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Tuesday night Juice!

Very good night... I had a couple of monster hands and made some really good lay downs (I think).... however, there was one I couldn't get away from.... again, it cost me a big stack of chips. 2/4 NLHE, Rick is sitting to my left. I limp and he raises to 24 straight. There are several callers and I call..... I am not going to tell you my hand. The flop is J, 10, brick.... I lead out with a 55 bet and Rick and John call and Dave folds like a little girl. I will tell you that I bet 55 here, expecting, hoping that Rick would re-raise. He didn't. That was my downfall.... the turn, a 9..... I bet 125 and Rick folds. John pushes all-in and he has me covered.... I've got 805 in front of me. Dave called the clock on me and I made a call that I shouldn't have..... although I had Rick in a bad situation, it would have been easy to put John on a hand that would beat me, but I was willing to pay to see it. He announces the nuts and turns over the K, Q.... and the river (very un-Jarod-like) is a brick and he scoops a monster! Nice hand sir.....

The other hand that was just an awesome flop for me..... 2/4 NL Omaha 8..... I've got 9, 9, 3, 4 and I thought how sweet would a 9, A, 2 flop be! and then there it was! Sweet.... The turn gave me the nut low and the nut straight and it held up.....

Then, of course, it wouldn't be a night at Dave's without him sucking out on me.... it's just a couple of hands after the monster pot above. I'm the big blind and flop the nut straight with a decent re-draw on top.... the flop was 6, 9, 10 rainbow. Dave bets out with a 20 and I re-raise to 60... he pushes all-in and I call with about 400 or so in front of me. Dave turns over his open-ended J, Q and spikes the King on the turn as requested.....

It wasn't long till everyone was wussying out crying about work, they're sick, their cat has diarrhea.... you name it.... these wimps can come up with some excuses!

At any rate, nice playing guys.....

1 comment:

Rick said...

That was a very interesting hand. I had A-A when you lost that big pot to John, and you don’t know how close I came to laying it down to your $55 flop bet. My instincts told me I was probably beat, but I still wanted a little more information. I can’t believe you think I’d raise you with just an overpair in that situation. After all, it’s not like I haven’t played hundreds of hours of poker with you. If you’d have made a healthy check-raise it would have cost me about the same amount, but you probably would have gotten John to let go of his draw, and you’d have scooped a nice pot with your flopped set. It had to be a set, since two-pair obviously can’t call John’s all-in. I was surprised you called even with a set, since you only would have had 10 outs and horrible pot odds.

As soon as John called behind on the flop, I put him exactly on K-Q, and I was pretty much done with the hand. Knowing John, it’s the only hand I can see him smooth-calling with while putting in $25 pre-flop (possible exception of 8-9 suited, but even then a Q makes the but straight for A-K, so he probably doesn’t chase), and there is no possible hand he could have that merits slow-playing with a danger flop like J-10. I remember thinking “an ace on the turn is going to cost me money,” since the implied odds probably would have merited calling a $200 or so bet. Luckily it didn’t come and I was able to make the easy lay down. As it turned out, it wouldn’t have mattered, since I wasn’t calling a $805 bet from John without the stone nuts.

Easy decisions: gooooood.
Tough decisions: baaaaad.

Rick :-)