Saturday, October 07, 2006

What to do?

Well, I can't seem to make them lay down.... I'm under the gun with pocket 10's... PKR Tourney 40/40/40.... blinds are up to 200/400 and I raise to 1900 straight. Sai, to my immediate left, raises to 5600.... and it folds around to me. I know he's on big slick or something close.... unfortunately, I've only got about 3,000 above his raise so if I re-raise now, he calls. My only shot TO WIN the pot is to call the bet and hope for either a 10 on the flop or a bad flop and then push. If he truly is on big slick, he'll only have 6 outs twice and maybe, maybe.... he'll go away. I didn't get the best flop, but it was 3 under cards so I push all-in. He thinks about it, oh, for about a second and then calls. In my opinion, a horrible call.... first of all, he didn't have that much more than me so if he calls and loses, he's crippled - AND he may be drawing dead if I flopped a set. Best case scenario, he has 6 outs twice to try to hit his over cards that may very well be dominated as I could easily have pocket kings, probably not aces as I took a little while contemplating his original raise. The only possible justification is that there is so much in the pot, but even then, it's basically all his chips on a draw that he doesn't even know if it hits whether it'll be good or not. He turns over his unsuited A, K. So, he tries to give me his chips..... and there on the river, an ace.

Oh well.... next time!

5 comments:

nateDiggity said...

First, you can't do anything about it.

Second, without knowing the actual stack sizes of the post-flop play, I'd have to guess he didn't make a terrible play. With 6 outs, he's slightly over 25% to spike an A or K. He's about 1:1 in chips with you, and he's getting 3:1 odds to call.

So, it seems to me that if the pot is 2x your stack or bigger, than he makes the right play.

If the pot is < 2x your stack, not such a good call.

nateDiggity said...

^^^ That should say 3:1 odds to catch.

Charles R said...

Well, I could have laid it down as there are so many bad possibilities there for the call. 1 - If he misses, he's crippled. Right now, he's got about 4,400 with a fold, more than 10 times the big blind. 2 - He could be drawing dead. I may have hit a set and now he is dead - or I could have pocket kings, in which case, he's not dead, but close. The other possibility, I am making a move with a crappier Ace.... such as a suited Ace, 9.... I would have flopped top pair, top kicker.... which means he has only his King to hit, now 3 outs twice. Basically my point is, he MUST have me on a specific hand to make the call and I guarantee you that he did NOT. At any rate, he didn't win any money in the tourney... LOL. Which means he screwed up my chips once he had them..... LOL.

Rick said...

As a matter of fact, he gave your chips to me, something you eventually would have done anyway... :-)

Charles R said...

Are there any trees in your world? The times that you have beat me in heads up have all followed the same event, you get your money in behind, in horrible position, and you get lucky and suck out.

Me, on the other hand, almost every time I have beat you, I get my money in with the best of it -AND- it somehow, miraculously holds up.....

I like those odds....