Thursday, December 14, 2006

Back in the Saddle Again

After a rare losing night (and a big one at that!) last week, it was time to get back on track. And what better way to do that than a Tuesday night with The Jizz?! I love Dave’s game. He welcomes you with open arms, he wines you, he dines you, then gives you a big pile of money as you walk out the door. It kind of makes me feel like a high-class call girl, except I get to leave with my dignity (and sphincter) intact. He’s Richard Gere to my Julia Roberts…

It was a strange night for me, in that I didn’t get involved in any gigantic pots. For the most part, I did a pretty good job of keeping the pots low when I was drawing, and being ahead when any significant amount of money went in. One monster pot I opted out of, I kind of wish I hadn’t. I was in late position in NL Omaha 8, and held A-2-X-X. The flop comes three middle cards with two to the low; something like 9-8-6. There’s a big bet, then three players are all-in by the time it gets to me! I don’t have much of anything except for a low draw, and I don’t have any insurance to go with the A-2. I’m the big stack, but I fold and let everyone duke it out. Everyone turns over straights or sets, and of course, another low card comes, meaning my nut low would have taken half of a monster pot. Oh well, you can’t play results poker, though there are always those one or two times a night I wish I was a worse player – the kind who makes a bad call and comes out smelling like a rose!

I don’t really have any hands of note, I just steadily built my stack until everyone left for the night except John M. We decided to play $5/10 NLHE heads-up for a couple hours. We went back and forth a little, but he played well and caught a few cards at the right time, and ended up winning the battle. I don’t recall how much he took exactly, but it was probably around $200-300. The biggest hand, and the one that turned out to be the difference between winning and losing, was when I pick up Q-Q. I think he raises to $30 on the button, I raise to $90, and he calls. He’s raising at least half the time on his button, but I put him on some kind of hand since he calls my re-raise. The flop comes 10-9-4, and I’m liking where I’m at. I lead out with a $100 bet, and he calls immediately. I can’t put him on A-K or A-Q, as he would have either mucked or thought for a few more seconds before calling. I can’t put him on a set either, as he would have thought about raising for a few seconds. My best guess is that he has A-10, K-10, A-9, or possibly a middle pair.

The turn brings a J. I like this card, as it’s an undercard that gives me an open-end straight draw. The only hand I’m a little worried about is J-10, but I bet another $100, and again he quickly calls. The river brings a 10 – not the card I was looking for. Now I’m facing a dilemma, to bet or not to bet. I convinced myself that, if I check to him, John’s going to push all-in regardless of what he has. There was $580 in the pot at this point, and I think he’ll take a stab at it with a missed draw. I make a bet of $200 (in retrospect a poor bet), and he immediately moves all-in for another $230 or so. Crap. I know I’m beat, but it’s only $230 more into a $1,200 pot, so I pay him off like the donkey I am at 7am. He turns over A-10. I wonder if he thought he was ahead the whole time, or if he just stayed in trying to hit the five-outer. The way the betting went it would have been tough to put me on anything other than a big pair. I didn’t get out of line all night – especially firing three big shells in a row. Maybe I should have pushed in on the turn, but the fact is I wanted action, and sadly, I got my wish! :-)

We finally called it a morning a little after that, and I cashed out for $3,500, even after dropping a little bit to John-Boy. I look forward to next Tuesday, when I can again back up the armored car to Dave’s door. I’d appreciate a little help loading it, Dave – my back’s a little sore…

See ya at the tables…
Rick

1 comment:

Rick said...

And learned well you have, Grasshopper - my butt's still sore from the reaming. What kind of treatment was that? I don't recall Luke treating Yoda like a $2 crack whore, I don't recall Daniel-san kicking Mr. Miyagi in the balls when he wasn't looking, and I certainly don't recall reading about Plato throwing spit-wads at the back of Socrates' head during lectures.

Not to worry, however. Just dutifully give your pile of chips to me next time, and your youthful lack of respect will be forgiven...