Monday, July 23, 2007

On an amazing run...

After some of the worst luck ever online, busting out on Full Tilt to a miracle runner runner as always, I figured it was time to make one last stand playing poker, live or online. I've have been loosing at poker since the day I started and this was it. I figured that I would try my luck at Ultimate Bet since all of the guys I know who play online seriously play and win there. That's actually the reason I never played there before, that and the fact I hated their interface and table layout. Why play were the pros play (the real online pros all started on UB and still play there)? I'd rather play where the donks play which is FullTilt. But there are too many donks at FT that just suckout so it's not worth trying anymore. So my experiment at UB would begin with a $50 deposit. Within a few hours, busto! ReBUY!! Another $50 gets loaded up there and almost busto. I was not playing very good poker and was still trying to get used to the interface and was playing alot of draws that never hit, unlike FT where every draw hit, only someone else would have a bigger suckout then mine.

So I'm down to $0.50 come Sunday afternoon. My experiment is not going so well but it's my fault for playing some of the draws I had. So at noon Sunday, I say a prayer and vow that this is it. No More Poker!! Not live nor online if I go broke (No Pressure). So with that 50 cent, I sit down to play $0.01/$0.02 NL HE and my game plan is to play solid poker, not to get worried or try and force it or put it all in on a draw, just sit back and let things comes to me. So I tripled up after a while and moved up to the .05/.10 tables. I sat back, won some nice pots and just kept moving up as soon as I had enough to buy into the next level. After 5 hour I was at $233.68!!!!!! Talk about a rush. I did not want to quit but I promised a guy I would play at his house and so I had to. Thinking that I would somehow realize that I need bankroll management, I should never go bust again. Guess again!! I'm proud to say that I did not lose it all again...but I tried too! My ego got involved in a few head's up matches tonight and I was up to over $300, down to $50 and up and then down. I worked my way back to $200 and thought that would teach me my lesson. Wrong again! I know only play head's up matches. Lots of action and I can get a better feel of the person I am playing against. Long story short, I was playing $0.25/$0.50 PL HE and was doing great until I sat down to a $0.50/$1.00 match as just ran cold and unlucky to a jerk (as you can tell my ego was involved in that match hence the loosing effort). So I went back down to the .25/.50 and buy in for the standard $25, the max is $50. Thanks to a few bad players and one guys who claimed to be high with $47k bankroll, I rushed my way up to over $400 at this table. With a max buy-in of $50, that's not a bad night's work. However, I do my best to lose it all right back and then some. My last opponent of the night was just playing horribly. He kept buying in with $15 vs my $400 so I just waited and crushed him ever time. After winning $100 off him and having a stack over $500 I asked the guy to leave b/c he really was no match. Now I'm not too sure of what happens, but he sits out for a few minutes talking about how much money he has to play with and blah blah blah and finally comes back with a max stack of 50. MAybe it was the same guy or maybe it was his buddy, you never know online. So I figured I would play for a few minutes, not losing much and hopefully shut this guy up. After losing $250 of my stack to this guy and going on some swings over $300 and down to $200 I was just frustrated with this guy and myself. Finally this hand came up and I knew as soon as he called the flop, every last dollar he had was coming back to me unless some miracle runner runner came. Understand that we both were playing hyper-aggressive and were raising and reraising every pot so me calling with my hand was not out of the ordinary.

www.pokerhand.org/?1294419

After this match, I'm sitting at just under $600. Not bad with starting at $0.50 just a day ago! Hopefully I can play smart, stick to a plan and become successful on UB. The key is to play head's up only, short sessions with breaks every hour of so, patience, and do not tilt. All easier said then done!

TM

No comments: