Sunday, August 19, 2007

The Fine Art of Sucking Out

Well, there you go. Rick's been waiting for quite some time for me to own up to the skill of chasing the old one or two outer only to have it smack me right in the face..... I can only take credit for the times where it happens and I actually get to see the other persons cards. I blogged one of the worst ones that I've ever done (as best I can recall). See last week's blog "So that's what it feels like to get your money in bad and suck out! I like it!" I ended putting all my money after flop with a blown low draw, a pair of twos and not much else only to have the board go runner/runner second nut straight. Sweet!

Rick accused me of sucking out last night when I raised pre-flop and the board comes X, 2x, 2x. I've got Ah, 3h, Qx, Qx and we both check the flop. The turn was a 7x and I really liked that card and I don't know why I decided not to bet... probably 2 reasons: Fear and Common Sense. You see, Rick is my nemesis. He has hit more flops, turns and rivers on me with the cooler hand than anyone else that I've ever played against. If I didn't know him so well, I'd swear he was cheating. LOL. I mean, how many one-outers can he hit! And they not only give him the stone-cold nuts, but it hits my hand too which entices to me to call or even worst.... raise! At any rate, we both checked the turn and guess what hits the river, Qx! Whee! And low and behold, tricky-Ricky, bets out with $50 and I re-raise another $100. I don't know why. I would have probably laid it down if he came over the top, giving him credit for Quad-deuces. LOL. So he accuses me of sucking out on him and mucks his cards. What do you think? He had a deuce? I don't know, he mucked!

Probably my worst suck out of the week came late Friday against Big Dave! I've got Ah, 2h, 4c, Jd and make a little raise of $60 into the $60 pot and get, well I think that everyone called and there were a couple of phone-ins. The flop... Ax, Ax, 9x. I have to be strong! The whole idea of sucking out is to get the money in while you are behind and then slam it to him when the card hits! Whee! I pot. I think it was about $200 something. Mike D folds and after much deliberation, Big Dave pushes all-in for another $190 or so and I of course, preparing for the suck out immediately call. Dave turns over Ax, Qx, X, X. You got it! The river hits my jack.... Ah yes.... the fine art of sucking out!

That pot helped me right the ship and we only played about another 45 minutes or so after that hand... but I was fully prepared to suck out again.... given the right circumstances!

2 comments:

Rick said...

Are you kidding? Anyone reading this knows you didn't suck out on me. If I had a hand better than pocket queens, I'd have been betting it. Unlike certain bald candy-asses named Charles, I'm not afraid to bet when I don't have the stone-cold nuts! :-) I actually had an A-3-J-K, so I just had the same nut low draw as you, but with no good high hand, so all I could do was throw out a little bluff when my low didn't get there. Of course, I can't resist the opportunity to try and get inside that tiny brain of yours. It must have worked, since you're actually blogging about winning $50 from me. I love this game! :-)

By the way, nice math skills, genius! If you bet $60 pre-flop into a $60 pot, and the entire table calls, even without the phone-ins the pot will be more than "about $200." Now that you're getting up there in age, you really should consider taking gingko biloba. At the very least, you should take a little nap before blogging. Better yet, you could look into the possibility of getting a designated blogger - that would make the Information Superhighway safer for all of us... :-)

Charles R said...

I tried the gingko biloba, but I kept forgetting to take it.... prick!