Thursday, November 10, 2005

Poker etiquette... 101

You tell me, what should happen to a player's cards if he voluntarily shows them to another player at the table. I do it some times as I am about to muck them to someone who has already folded, but never do I do it and then continue the hand. It happened on Tuesday in no limit hold'em. I flopped the top set with a pot of about $12. I immediately bet about $16. Jeff shows his hand to Dave and says that I know you couldn't get away from this and then calls my $16 bet. I wasn't happy. And was even less happy when he hit the open ended straight and took down the pot.

I think that this is different from when a player shows his cards to everyone at the table. There are a couple of guys that I play with regularly who will bet and then show one or both of their cards to discourage others from calling and attempting to draw out on them. Once he flips his card(s), it is then the responsibility of the others at the table to surpress any comments or emotions about his exposed cards. I am not certain of what the official poker rules are pertaining to exposing your cards.

Your thoughts/comments would be appreciated. I believe that if you willingly show your cards to ANYONE, they should be considered dead, mucked, folded. Let me know what you think.

1 comment:

Charles R said...

Thanks natediggity... that was very helpful. Good points all of them. However, when people are staying in and hitting their outs, it still is a little disheartening. But again, thanks, I've made note of all of your comments!