Monday, November 07, 2005

Tourney @ PKR

This past weekend was sort of a heavy hockey schedule for my son's bantam hockey team so my tournament play was limited. I typically try to play in the $100 buy-in tourney @ PKR but my son's hockey game in Greensboro prevented me from being able to play in that one so I opted to play in the $55 buy-in with re-buys. I had played really well and made it to the final table and had accumulated chips to where I was 2nd in chips. In about two hands, I busted out. The big one happened when I flopped 2nd pair with the nut flush re-draw. The guy pushed all-in and I called his $4000. He had top pair and a crappy kicker and the flush didn't come. There were now about 7 people remaining and I made an offer to the short stack (he had about $6000 in chips) to let me buy his stack for $100. He accepted and I enjoyed one of the rarities in life.... I actually got to knock out of the tournament the guy who had just knocked me out. It was worth it just for that.... LOL. At any rate, I ended up finishing second and got a pretty nice return on my re-buy. The final hand playing heads up, I had QQ and raised to $4000 pre-flop. The big stack (around $45000) calls and the flop comes Ah, Ad, 5d. He pushes all-in and I knew that he didn't have an ace so I called. I was right, he was on the diamond draw and hit it on the river. That would have been the tournament turn-around. I would have jumped from about $15000 to about $30000 and we would have been almost tied, but for some reason, the poker gods continue to punish me by letting people out-draw me.

We finished up around 6:30 and my family was going to the Carolina Hurricanes game at 7PM without me so I decided to play in the cash game. I ended up cashing out about $450 up.... I like it!

No comments: