Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Sometimes the cards are cruel.....

$2/$4 No Limit night at Corey's. We play a mix of Hold 'em and Omaha High. This is a game where you cannot play only good cards or your lunch will get eaten. And Dave is usually the one that is seated at the main seat with silverware in hand. Last night was really not much of an exception. He played rather loose at the beginning and sucked out on me on a couple of big hands and then he played change up all night, moving from periods of betting/raising every pot to not playing any hands for extended periods. There was a big pot with Dave where I flopped the top set on a flop of Ah, Qd, 6s. I bet $21 against a $12 pot and everybody folds but Dave and he just calls and mumbles something about the monkey and a straight flush. LOL. The turn is 9s and I bet $35 and he calls. The river is another spade and he hit his 5 high flush. I'm persuaded there will be a special place in hell for Dave.... LOL.

There were two other big hands for me for the night. Both of them involved Queens. The first happened with Jim. I've got pocket J's and the flop comes 8, 8, J. Not a bad flop for wired Jacks! I check and everybody checks. The turn is 9 and Jim bets $15 and there are a couple of callers. The river is a Queen and Jim bets $17 and I push all in with another $200 but Jim only had $87 and he calls and turns over QQ. He hit the two outer on me. Again.... when to try to get value for your hand and when to take it down. It's a tough question and apparently one that I haven't figured out the answer to just yet.

The second hand happened within 1/2 hour of that hand. We're playing Omaha high now which is a little scarier when slow playing due to the additional outs that everyone has in their hands. At any rate, I've got Q, Q, 10, 7 and the flop hits me big time.... J, J, Q! Jeff is first to act and he bets about $17 and there's one other caller. The turn is 8 and Jeff bets $30 and I call. The river is a brick and Jeff bets $35 and I raise to $70 and Jeff pushes all in. Dave folds and Jeff turns over J, and the case Queen. Talk about a cold, cruel deck!

At any rate, Dave was the big winner last night. Not sure what he won, but he cashed out over $1,100. I played all night and broke exactly even. Sometimes the cards are cruel....

No comments: