Saturday, January 27, 2007

PKR Saturday Poker Tournament

Not great, I went out in sixth place today. I did catch a few good hands early that provided chips to get to the sixth place but by that time, I was very close to the short stack with only $11,000. Not very much when the blinds are $2,000/$4,000. I really think that they go up to fast after the $500/$1,000 blind.

So, just to give you a glimpse of some of my hands today.... I made a standard raise at the $25/$50 blind level when there were 4-5 limpers to $150 and all of them called when I was holding pocket Aces. The flop was Ac, 4d, 5d. I like it... Jason bets $600 and there's one caller. I push all-in with another $2300 or so and Jason calls. He was on a diamond draw and I made a boat with a 4 on the turn.

The next big hand for me came at the $100/$200 level in late position with 8s, 6s.... I limped in and there were no raises and I believe 5 other limpers. The flop was 8, 8, 6.... I like it! It checks all the way around to me and I check hoping somebody catches something! The next card is a 2x. Big Dave leads out with a $600 bet and Gabby, I believe, pushes all-in for another $2,200 or so. I am trying to look concerned. I am! I am trying to figure out what I can do to get Big Dave's chips in the pot. After a few seconds of deliberation, I just call and sure enough. Big Dave goes all-in for another $5,000 or so. I immediately call with the nuts at the time. Dave turns over an 8, 9x and the river is a meaningless Ace.

A couple of other, ONLY AT PKR kind of hands.... I believe the blinds are $400/$800. Ed raises and Carl re-raises and Asbury pushes all-in. Carl and Ed call. The hands are Carl has aces, Ed has kings and Asbury has queens... you know what is going to happen right? Sure enough Asbury turns a queen to scoop the biggest pot of the tournament so far and knock out Ed and Carl, both with better hands than him pre-flop. There's another new guy playing today and he was playing just about any ace all afternoon and kept getting really lucky. He pushed all-in with A, 9os and beat A, J suited when he made a straight using only his 9.... that was huge pot!

At any rate, when I left Rene' had just flopped quads to knock out Asbury and they were down to four. Jeff, Rene', the new guy and Big Dave! Good playing guys.....

See you tomorrow!

No comments: