Thursday, January 25, 2007

Sunday at Benson

Another tournament at Benson can mean only one thing; another bad beat story. Of course, any poker player who’s played more than, oh, once could write a book with all of their tales of woe. For me, I’m not interested so much in the typical criteria (number of outs, etc.), as I am the situation, and what makes a bad beat unique. The beat I took last weekend makes my book because of its distinctiveness.

I was invited to play in a 20-player freeroll, with no rebuys. Each player started with 4,000 chips, so there was 80,000 in play. I think we’re down to eight players, blinds are 800/1,600 and I have 7,200 in front of me. I’m UTG in seat one, and find J-J. At this point I want to try and double up, so I raise to 4,000 (rather than push in), in an attempt to get action. Of course, the chips are going in regardless of the flop.

The action folds around to the small blind, who’s in seat nine and somewhat blinded from me by the dealer. He turns to the guy in the big blind and boldly announces he’s all-in. The big blind folds, I quickly call and turn over my hand, and the guy’s eyes get big as he announces “I didn’t know anyone else was in the hand,” and sheepishly turns over 8-7os. The flop brings 10-9-2, giving him six outs to the straight. The turn pairs the board, leaving him just the four sixes as outs. Of course, by now you know that one of them comes. Turns out he and I had exactly the same amount of chips, so instead of having 20% of the chips in play, I’m out the door and on my way home before he can finish stacking his booty.

You gotta love the luck. The guy isn’t paying attention to the action, is oblivious to the fact that someone has already raised the pot, and just tries to steal the big blind. But as so often happens in this game, he trips over his own dick, lands in a big pile of shit, and gets up smelling like a rose (of course, if you talk to Charles, he'll tell anyone that'll listen that I'm a lucky player...).


I’m off to Dave’s again tonight, where I’m sure I’ll collect enough material for yet another chapter in my ever-growing book. :-)

See ya at the tables…
Rick

2 comments:

Superplaya said...

Most bad players don't understand the game of poker enough to know when the odds say to go for the 8 outer because they only see pot odds,not implied. They just wow what a lucky fucker after they call a 300 bet on the river after u called 60 to hit it. thanks for another 900 pot :)

Rick said...

I agree completely - implied odds dictate my play much more than pot odds do. To me, about the only time pot odds are more important is an all-in situation - then once you make your read it's simply about the math.

I find it humorous that mostly it's the same people complaining about the "suckout" that will give you not only the proper pot odds to call their bet, but who will also pay you off when you hit your card!

I love this game... :-)