Thursday, September 06, 2007

Recharging instead of rebuying!

I really haven't played much over the past month and it's been really nice. Last month started with my wife having some health issues so I simply could not play and then when I could, I really didn't want to. I've only played live three times (one was for 5 minutes....busto on my first hand, time to go) and maybe once a week online. I 've been doing a lot of thinking and I'm ready to put more focus on the long term aspects of poker and life instead of the short term gamble. I'm a gambler by nature I think. I've been one to take risk in my career time and time again only to have each sales position just not work out for one reason or another. The same is with poker. I've always been willing to put everything on the line each and every time only to get rivered by a two outer, miss a monster draw in PLO8 or make a bad read and donk my chips off. I plan on taking one more week off and then start focusing on the PokerStars WCOOP coming up. I think that with this time away from playing has really allowed me to reflect on my game and fix some leaks that I have. Its also amazing how much more work gets done and how much cleaner my house is....interesting.


I highly recommend every taking some time off every now and then just to recharge your batteries and to rethink your game. I'm now ready to to finish out the year strong mentally and trying to get in better shape so I can play better longer. Its funny how I play great for the first few hours and then when I get tired and start to loose focus, my chips start to disappear. Interesting.... This time two years ago, I would start off losing to start off the night just to loosen up the table and since I knew that I could out last everyone there, I would just wait until later in the night and win it all back and more. If not, at least I'll loose a few pounds!

No comments: