Sunday, February 03, 2008

I have good news and bad news....

Yep, this is the way that I normally start my conversation with someone who is considering joining the Juice's game. Then I finish the sentence with "they will call you with any cards..." Yep, you can flop the nuts (let's just say a Queen high straight with back up flush draw) and there'll be a bet and 4 callers in front of you. You thinking you're doing the right thing will PUSH - Pump it up! And again, the good news is that you'll get 3-4 callers. And the bad news is.... you'll get 3-4 callers. You see... there's 1 card to the low and Keith has A, 2, 3 rainbow and knows if the flop comes with basically any 2 low cards, he'll get half. And the Juice, well... the Juice has middle pair and a crappy flush draw so you couldn't get him out with a hand gun. And Big Dave has 4, 5 and feels as if there is an A, 2 coming and maybe even a 6 and 7 which might make his straight good.... so here we go, they all call. The turn is a 7.... now the Juice has 2 pair - 7's and 9's. Keith has an UNDUPLICATIBLE low DRAW! Big Dave has a gut shop and a crappy low draw. I push all-in - everyone calls.... the board pairs nines and the Juice scoops! Whee!

The point is that no matter how well - or tight - you play at this game, there'll be many instances when you put your chips in "good" but the one, two, three or twenty-three outer will come that will give someone else at least half the pot, if you're lucky and the entire pot when you're not.

As the clock was running down this a.m. I did have an interesting hand. A desperate hand. I'm the big blind and peer down to find As, 2s, 8s, 8c... it was chocolatey! It's late, I'm feeling froggy, I don't have many chips left so when it gets back to me and there were 6-7 callers, I pot it up $150 on top. Bill T calls, the Juice calls and Keith calls. Who would have thunk it? The flop is 6x, 7x, 10x. I pop it another $150 and the Juice pumps it up to $360 straight - enough to put me all in. Keith and Bill T call as well. The turn is a beautiful 8.... give me the nut low AND a middle set. I like it! Bill T checks and the Juice pushes all in. Keith was all in already and after enough to watch Titanic on an ailing vhs machine... Bill T folds to the $2000 bet... I'm sure he laid down a monster... probably a middle pair with no shot at low. At any rate, there's a sweet 10x on the river to give me the nut low and 8's full of 10's..... Scooper! It turns out the Juice turned the nut straight and would have actually made money if Bill T had called. We waited for some reaction from Keith but he had disappeared faster than a gravy biscuit at an Oprah family reunion. Gone! Just gone... no good-byes... Gone!

Let the suck outs begin!

No comments: