Monday, February 18, 2008

Slow Play = Quick Pain

I've actually blogged about this point several times on here. When do you determine it is wise to "slow play" your monster in order to let someone "catch up?" Opinions vary, but I think that you have to determine how much of a monster, YOUR monster, really is. If I had known Mike D's hand on the flop in the example that I am about to give you, I would make the same play over and over again as I have him drawing to only 5 outs. Plus I've got a decent low and even if he were to get lucky and hit his 5 outer, I've still got re-draws to half the pot. In most instances, I'm more worried about him having and betting a low draw which means that now we're only increasing the rake on what is very likely to be a split pot. Enough prelim's... here's how it happened.

We have a surly bunch of characters including the ab-normal regulars at our Friday night Cary game of $2/$5 Omaha 8 Pot Limit. It's been a game that I have had marginal success with as Omaha 8 is definitely a "draws" game. I've heard Rick say many times that to flop the nuts in this game is the "kiss of death" and likely to cost you your entire chip stack. He is right again.....



My hand:










Mike D's hand:









The flop:










Wow! What a flop.... I'm in early position, small blind actually and as I catch of the glimpse of the big blind, he is rallying his chips as if to make a bet. I decide to let him, unfortunately Theron (sp.) loses his nerve or at least decided against it. It checks all the way to the big blind and thank goodness, Mike D decides to bet the pot. Now the 2nd dilemma.... re-raise and try to take down the small pot or at least isolate and bet out the draws. But no, greed sets in as I remember that Theron was wanting to bet on the flop.... who knows, maybe he'll isolate. So I just smooth call and Theron folds. Strap yourselves in... here comes the turn.

The turn:






Fortunately, Mike D didn't have many chips and I believe that his pot bet put him all-in and I immediately call and get the bad news. Yep, he bet the flop drawing to only five outs and found all that he needed was one. Now my only hope to get at least half the pot is any 2, 3, 5 or 6 any suit.... and you guessed it, the river:






And Mike D doubles up through me....
Let the suck outs begin!

1 comment:

Rick said...

Yep, that's your typical Omaha 8 hand. One small correction though: you still had three outs (aces) to scoop the pot on the river. Knowing this game, I can't believe one of them didn't come...