Saturday, February 23, 2008

Omaha 8 Pot Limit in Cary

I must say I sort of felt like Rick or Elli last night as I flopped or turn some monsters.... there were a couple of soft plays where I lost the pots, but it was a pretty good night for me in terms of catching cards. O8 is one of those games where you do need to get some cards since your opponents all have 4 cards each the likelihood of pulling off a bluff is minimal. It can be done and I have done it, but it must be executed under the correct circumstances and against the right players. But to give you an idea..... I flopped quads three times, turned a straight flush once and rivered the double-nuts twice in about a 3.5 hour stretch. You'd better walk out a winner with those kinds of cards. Unbelievably my biggest pot was early on against Rick and Mike D....

I've got 2, 3, 4, 5 on the button. Rick is the big blind and pumps it up another $30 when it gets back to him. Mike D calls and I call. The flop is A, 2, 10 with 2 spades. Rick bets the pot and Mike D calls and I call. The turn is a 4x and Rick pushes all-in, Mike D calls and I push all-in and Mike D calls. My wheel holds up to scoop the pot.

I also flopped quads after Ron had raised pre-flop and when he bet a paltry $20 on the turn, I min-raised him and he folded. There were 2 other significant hands.... in the first I held: Ac, 3h, 4h, 5c. The flop was 2h, 5h, 7s.... there was a pre-flop straddle and I bet the pot on the flop. Everyone called and the turn was the 6h... giving me the nut low and a straight flush. Mike D bet $25, Joe called and I raised to $75 hoping that he had the Ace flush and maybe a decent low. Mike D folded and Joe called. The river was a blank and I bet and Joe folded.

The other hand was against Rahj... he was the big blind and raised it $30. I really felt like I owed him one from an earlier hand so when there were 4-5 callers I called with 2c, 3h, 8h, 8c..... the flop: 8x, 8x, A... oh boy did I hope that he was raising pre-flop with pocket Aces. I lead out with a $50 bet and everyone folded. Oh baby... I was hoping that he thought that I had an 8 or a low draw and that he would come over the top. I also didn't want to let someones low draw get there unless they were committed to it and willing to pay.

Oh well... let the suck outs begin!

No comments: