Friday, June 15, 2007

Just my luck!

Well, after reading this blog for some time now, I figure that it was time to post my bad run for everyone to see. This night actually took place the last week of May.

We're playing 1/2NL mix between HE and O8 with just me calling straight Omaha every time. So I buy-in short stacked with $60 and there is only 5 of us playing to start. I'm first to act in the HE game, I think this is the 6th hand of the night, and I see 7S 4S so I just call and the table limps in. The flop comes 10 4 4, SWEETTTTT!!! "Coach" is first to act and bets $10 into a $10 pot and I just call with everyone else folding. The turn comes a 5 and we both check and the river comes my 7 to fill me up. I'm in great shape now. I figure Coach has 10 with a face card and I slow played my way into a quick double up. Right?!....WRONG!!!!!!!! Coach bets $20 and I have only have another $26 left so I reraise just as sure as can be that he has the 10 or maybe even a big pair and I'm getting paid off. So he calls and as I start to turn my hand over and pull those lovely chips to me.......Coach says "I've got a boat!" What?! Did he just say that? How? When? No way he has me! I look over and see him turn over pocket 5s. OUCH! I'm crushed. I just got hit by a freight train that I NEVER saw coming. NEVER. So I say nice catch and all of you can kiss my.... well, let's just say I was on tilt. I mean, I played it perfect right? Well, maybe not. So I stand up and leave and go to the store to clear my mind and get a drink.

A few minutes later I come back level headed. I realize what and where I went wrong and some of the tells I missed on Coach and I was ready to return and crush everyone! So buy-in again short staked at $60 (btw, everyone else was sitting with at least $200 buy-in so I figured if I just play tight and smart I'll be a winner in no time b/c they all will just try and push me around). So a few hours have gone by and I'm really just playing great. Making great lay downs and solid calls the entire time. Building my stack to over $200 and then back down to $150 or so when this hand comes up. I'm on the button and I call Omaha High. I look down and see the most incredible O8 hand and just my luck I called high....that'll teach me. So everyone is limping in and I raise to $10. I get three callers behind. One of which is a very solid Omaha player and the other 2 are....call and pray to hit types. So I'm sitting on the button and the flop comes As8c3c, There's around $50 in the pot and it goes check, check, and then "Jav" bets $100. Wait, $100? What the? Well I have AhAd2h4d and sitting now with $141 total and figure that Jav has a weak flush draw and 2 pr so I raise all in and "JD", the solid player, stands up and starts to really think. So I figure JD has a big flush draw and is already sitting with a very nice stack and is starting to think things through. After a minute or so, JD finally folds, Mr B folds and Jav has to call. Jav turns over 8s8h9c5c. JD shows where he folded A8 so I don't have to worry about the 8 spiking and he also had a club. No let's do the math real quick. 9 of us are dealt in, so there's 36 cards plus the flop and burn so we're at 40. The turn comes a blank which brings our total to only 10 cards left in the deck including the burn card. Playing three handed I am a 65% favorite, playing 9 handed, I'm even higher, over 90% I think... I should have chopped it right then and there with my luck. Just break even and live to fight another day. But here's the thing, I'm not a chopper. I got for it and maybe that's way I loose every time I play. And by now you know that the river was a CLUB and gives him the less then 10% chance to when the pot. Now if I had played O8, I would have won low, him high, and I would be complaining about how I didn't win it all but now I'm going down the road, mumbling and kicking rocks with my head held low.

Omaha is such a brutal game. There is only one game that is more brutal and that's PL or NL Triple Draw (which no one plays around here, only online). That's my story and I text'd JD that night after I got home saying I was going back into retirement and wouldn't be back until June. That's right June! Which at the time was only 4 days away. I meant July but they all know I can't make it past a week without loosing money to those donks.

TM

1 comment:

Charles R said...

Very nice sir.... yes, Omaha has left us all mumbling. I actually like Omaha High Only as well, but I typically don't call it for fear of getting that beautiful AA24 you were dealt! LOL. At any rate, welcome and keep blogging!