Monday, August 21, 2006

“Hello, Best Buy…?”

“…I need to upgrade my TV. No, better than projection, lets go with plasma. No, higher quality than Toshiba, lets go with Pioneer. No, bigger than 42, lets go with the 50 inch model.”

This is the conversation I’ll be having this week, after locking horns with Davey Boy – AKA “The Jizz” - a few times last week. Both the Tuesday and Thursday night sessions ended with me scooping his entire chip stack.

On Tuesday’s last hand, I was dealt Q-8 in NLHE, and check-called a bet of $25 on a flop of Q-5-2 rainbow. I like making the occasional slow-play against Davey (trying to give him just enough of the proverbial rope…). Anyway, the turn comes 3x. I check, and hesitate a second to plant the seed before smooth-calling a bet $60. I thought about raising here, as I was pretty sure my hand was good. You never quite know with The Jizz however, he can play 6-4 the same as Q-Q at times!

The 8x river card was one of the prettiest I’ve seen in a while, giving me top two pair. Dave is all but incapable of checking behind, especially heads-up after betting the previous two rounds. If he has a hand he’ll bet for value, and if he doesn’t he’ll throw out a big bluff to try to steal the pot. Knowing this, I decide to check-raise him on the river. I check, he bets $75, I casually throw out $225, and he immediately goes all-in for another $450 or so before my chips hit the table!

Two things are now apparent: 1) I’ve just executed the perfect trap play, and 2) I’m not quite sure if I trapped The Jizz or myself! I actually took 30 seconds or so to replay the hand in my head, just in case I could put him on a set or a straight. I couldn’t, I called, and he turned up Q-6. He said he put me on A-8.

Thursday’s last hand was Omaha 8 (hi/low split, 8 or better). I had A-Q-5-4 with two clubs, and the flop comes A-3-8, with one club. Not a bad flop for my hand, so I lead out with a $30 bet. Dave is the only caller. The turns comes 10c, giving me top pair with second kicker, a flush draw and a decent low. I bet $65, and Dave calls.

The river brings the prettiest card I’ve seen since…well, since Tuesday! It’s the 2s, and it gives me the double-nut wheel! Of course, The Jizz doesn’t need to know this, so I give my best disappointed/frustrated “my low just got counterfeited” eye roll and head nod before checking to him. Sure enough, he throws out a bet of $75, and I go all-in over the top for all his chips, about $500. He calls immediately, and turns up two-pair and 4-6 for second nut low.

Next to “Get the Monkey,” “Double Nuts” has got to be one of the sweetest phrases to utter in all of poker. I look forward to this week’s sessions, as I still have plenty of room left in my online shopping cart…

See ya at the tables...
Rick

No comments: