Wednesday, August 16, 2006

I'd rather be good AND lucky.....

Well, last night certainly went Rick's way.... He got doubled up early when he isolated Dave with a big raise and his big pair held up and the rest of the night it was kind of..... "who wants to get busted next?"

I don't believe that I'll ever sit in that position again.... with Rick on my right and Dave on Rick's right, everytime I would try to isolate, someone, usually Dave would call and give Rick pot odds to call with a crappy low draw that hit somehow.... The hand that stands out the most was Omaha Hi-Lo, I believe that I had Ah, Ac, Qh, 10d and the flop was As, 9c, 7c..... I bet $17 with the top set and had a couple of callers including Dave and Rick. The turn was Qd and I think that Dave bet and Rick called and I pushed all in for about $200 more..... everyone folds to Dave who calls and then Rick calls. The river is the 5c and Rick scoops the pot with 2c, 4c flush and the best low......

That was just the first of many......

Dave wanted me to blog one of the early Texas Hold 'em hands that he played with John S..... John was in late position and Dave bets $14 and there are several callers and John S pushes all in. Dave calls and everyone else folds. The flop is 8c, 8s, 7c. The turn is the 5h and Dave turns over his 4h, 6d to crack John's pocket Kings.....

I believe that Dave did that again to him a little later with Qc, 3c when he called a big pre-flop bet only to flop trip 3's......

Then there is the whole argument about whether you would rather be good or lucky...... I think that our friend Rick is one of those rare individuals who is both...... It was very frustrating to me last night to sit there and watch his stack constantly grow with him catching cards leaving his opponents looking like the remedial kid who stumbled into chemistry class! At any rate, he is an excellent reader of people and putting them on particular hands, AND when he calls their big bet he always (or at least it seems like always), he catches the miracle card to make his hand better! Yep.... there are 2 combination players that have the ability to set off my caution lights.... a very aggressive player who is catching cards - AND - a very good player, like Rick, who is catching cards..... If he starts streaking, you might be better off to climb into the cocoon with Dean and only bet when you have the stone cold nuts!

But then, that's no fun.....

No comments: