Sunday, August 27, 2006

Sunday PKR Tourney....

Well, we had another excellent tournament at PKR today! Rick and I ended up playing heads up for 1st spot.... We have both played really well all day. There was one hand that could have been disaster for me when I slow played the Ah, 10h and flop came 10d, 5h, 6h. Rick was in the small blind and led out with a decent sized bet. I almost pushed all-in and I know he would have called and probably would have crippled me. The turn was a brick and he bet 2300 and I called. The river was another brick and he bet 2000 and I called. He turns over the 5d, 6d, I believe flopping two pair. And unfortunately for me top pair with the nut flush draw didn't improve.

The hand that really did me in was late in our heads up play when he made a small raise pre-flop and I called with 9h, 3h. The flop was 10h, 8h, 3d. I flopped bottom pair with the flush draw. I checked and he bet 2000 and I raised to 7000 and he pushed all-in. I thought for a moment and had him slow-playing a 10 which meant that I may have been behind, I had plenty of outs. Unfortunately for me, he had no pair, only the nut flush draw and of course he hits on the river. Had he known what cards that I was on, he would have gladly moved all-in as he was playing the Ah, 4h which meant that any Ace was good, any four was good and of course... any heart!

I was so crippled that the rest of the tournament was really just a formality. Everytime I raised, he folded and I was basically blinded out till he raised once when I had suited connectors.... Daniel Negreanu's favorite hand, 10s, 7s. Rick had an ace and it held up.

Nice playing.... but I'll be back!

1 comment:

Rick said...

It's always fun to play Chuckles heads-up. For one thing, it means we're both in the money! We're also both very competitive by nature. I think either of us would rather cut off our left testicle with a rusty pair of pruning shears than to entertain the thought of chopping the money - LOL! We've been fortunate enough to get heads-up several times, and I think we chopped once (if I remember correctly, it was getting late and one of us needed to be somewhere).

At any rate, I always learn something from our little battles. Charles has been on a nice run the past few weeks, cashing several times. I've been stuck in one of those ruts where I've finished in fifth or sixth (just out of the money) in almost every tourney I've played in during the past month or two, so it's nice to finally get back on track.

The Sunday tournament has some nice growth potential. If we can get two full tables going, then several players will enjoy a sweet little payday. If you're reading this and you haven't played it during the past couple weeks, then get your butt out there and mix it up with us (unless, of course, you don't think you can hang...). Come to think of it, if that's case, we want you out there anyway!

Rick :-)