Friday, August 25, 2006

Poker Tips - Hold 'em

Too Many Hands

If there is one big mistake that I see most beginners make regularly, it is that they play way too many hands. I don't remember exactly where I read it, but it seems that I remember reading that most top pros play between 20%-30% of their starting hands. If you'll focus on playing higher value starting hands, it'll help remove the luck element of the game.

You can get lucky! You will see learned players "at a full table" play what would appear to be an easy hand to get away from, but typically it is with the plan of trying to spike a big flop so that they can bust someone, BUT if it doesn't happen on the flop, they throw it away.

Don't be a donkey! Throw it away. You may be card dead on any given day, but there will be more days.... even in NC.

3 comments:

nateDiggity said...

Funny... it seems that whenever I play a mediocre/poor hand in the hopes of "spiking" a big flop and busting someone, I catch something like top & bottom pair when they catch top 2... or I catch my flush with my 75s, only to lose all my chips to the AKs who flopped the nuts.

Charles R said...

One big problem is that it is so difficult to know where you really are in the hand. Let's say you play 8, 6os and there's a normal raise pre-flop and the flop is 10, 8, 6.... its easy to think that you might be ahead with two pair, but it is just as easy to suspect that the raiser has pocket 10's. There are instances when you flop the absolute nuts with a marginal hand.... something like 5, 7os and the 3, 4, 6os. And a lot of times, you'll get paid. But I would be willing to bet that if you were able to add up all the times that you called pre-flop raises with that crap and didn't hit and then measure those losses against the wins, you'd still be behind. It's better I think to throw it away. In most instances, it is really easy for me to lay it down UNLESS the raiser has recently played crap cards against me to crack a big pair, then, in most cases, it is worth whatever the price to suck out on him.... you know who you are!

Surgesilk said...

I think the top pros would disagree, you have to vary your play.